‘Corporate Social Responsibility’ is one of those terms that is often associated with large businesses. In basic terms it relates to how companies manage their business in order to produce a positive impact on society and the environment.
Our view as a small business is that they too, can and should, follow suit in order to go beyond the minimal legal requirements and obligations expected of them in order to be a responsible business.
Think and Act Local
The size and scale of funds may not be comparable to bigger businesses but what we do have is the wonderful opportunity to keep things local and personal.
As a local business based in Southgate, North London, the team here at Nippy Gecko IT believe in the importance of giving back into the local community in which we are based.
It is for this reason that we jumped at the opportunity to volunteer our time and work with Edmonton County School when we were invited to attend a CV Feedback and Mock Interview session.
We were really impressed by how well the event was organised and the young people we spoke with definitely made strong first impressions and were a real credit to both themselves and the School.
We hope that we were able to bring benefit to the students by providing real time constructive feedback on their presentation skills and ways to improve their CV’s.
As a tech company, we often get asked how young people can get into the IT sector and ways in which to stand out in a competitive industry so we have summarised some top tips below:
- First impressions count – It is said that most first impressions are made in 30 seconds or less. It is certainly true that first impressions do most definitely count in business. Consider what impression both you and your CV make
- Keep up to date – Follow trends in technology and be prepared to constantly ‘skill up’
- Professional Qualifications – Study for a relevant degree in Computer Science or other industry specific qualifications
- Experience – Like most competitive fields, you need to look at ways of standing out from other graduates and the best way to do this is to gain work experience
- Use initiative – Whether this means fixing your friends and family’s laptop or building your own website, do it as it will help you learn skills and to stand out from all those other job applicants
- People Skills – Contrary to most people’s belief, IT is not just about sitting behind a desk looking at a computer all day! Atleast not at Nippy Gecko IT which is why our slogan is ‘Awesome IT by people not robots’. Good people skills are vitally important as inevitably you will be dealing with real people!
- Do your research – As a small business we pride ourselves on our highly personalised service. Likewise, when recruiting, we are looking for someone who has bothered to look at our website, find out about our company and be as excited as we are about what we do.
We are always on the look out for top talent to join our team so if you think you have got what it takes then check out our availability on http://nippygecko.it/join-our-team/